Education and Migration experts

Partner (Provisional and Migrant) visa (subclass 309 100)

The Partner (Provisional and Migrant visa) (subclass 309 and 100) allows those individuals to relocate to Australia who has a spouse or de facto partner of either Australian citizen, a permanent Australian resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

The applicant needs to go for both the permanent and temporary visas at the same time and pay only one fee.

If the temporary Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) is granted, they will be eligible for the permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) about two years after the application is lodged.

Length of stay

With the help of a 309 subclass visa, the applicant can stay until a decision is made about your permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).

With the help of a 100 subclass visa, the applicant can stay permanently in Australia.

With 309 Subclass visa, the applicant can
  • stay in Australia until the decision for the permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) is made or the application is withdrawn
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia but will not receive government support.
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as they want
  • attend up to 510 hours of free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
  • enroll in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare


With 100 Subclass visa, the applicant can also
  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia
  • sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
  • travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • if eligible, apply for Australian citizenship

In order to get these Visas,

  • The applicant needs to be outside of Australia.

The applicant must be in a genuine relationship with your spouse or de facto partner who is:

  • an Australian citizen
  • Australian permanent resident
  • eligible New Zealand citizen.

Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) is a temporary visa that acts as the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 100) .

Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) is a permanent visa that is usually granted to people who already hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 309).

Usually, the applicant must hold:

  • a Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309), or
  • a Dependent Child (subclass 445) visa in order to apply for this visa.

If the applicant is married, the marriage must be valid under Australian law.

If it’s in a de facto relationship, he/she must be 18 or older when they apply.

The applicant might still be eligible if their relationship breaks down after the application has been lodged.



The applicant must be sponsored by his/her partner, except if the partner is under 18 years of age.


Other Requirements

The applicant must meet the health and character requirements.

The applicant and his/her family members must have complied with all Australian laws while being in Australia.

The applicant should not have any outstanding debts to the Australian government before the visa is granted.


For any further information related to this visa,